Visiting Melbourne - What to See and Do
(Melbourne Airport MEL, Australia)
Vibrant and welcoming with a rich history and exciting cultural scene, Melbourne is often considered one of the trendiest and most interesting cities in Australia. Built on the scenic Yarra River, Melbourne is a multicultural city with lively shops and cafés, world-class restaurants, interesting Victorian architecture, acclaimed museums and galleries, a lively nightlife and much more.
Since the city got rich during the latter part of the 19th century on the gold mining of the Victoria interior, there are many grand old houses with exquisite wrought iron décor and stately balconies. Relics, such as the charming old trams, are a legacy of the city's glorious past.
Ten things you must do in Melbourne
- Put your best foot forward for a walking tour of Melbourne, taking in its most interesting historical and cultural sights. A number of tours are available led by friendly and knowledgeable guides.
- Visit one of Melbourne's superb theatres which stage regular plays, operas, ballets, musicals and more.
- Have a flutter in the casino at the vast Crown Entertainment Complex in Melbourne's Southbank district. The complex also includes a cinema, shops and restaurants.
- Visit Melbourne's world-class galleries such as the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art and the National Gallery of Victoria, which houses masterpieces by artists including Rembrandt and Picasso.
- Watch a 'footy' - Australian Rules Football - match. The games attract huge crowds and the atmosphere can be electric. The season runs from April to September.
- Visit one of Melbourne's beautiful sandy beaches and sunbathe, swim, surf or just relax with a good book. There are a number of excellent beaches close to the city centre.
- Enjoy a relaxing boat cruise along the Yarra River, which winds through the centre of Melbourne. Regular cruises are available.
- Board a historic City Circle Tram for a journey around central Melbourne. The tram system dates from the 1920s.
- Enjoy spectacular views over Port Phillip Bay from the Arthur's Seat Chairlift, which takes visitors 300 metres up to Arthur's Seat State Park.
- Escape the hustle and bustle of city life with a trip to the nearby Dandenong Ranges in the Yarra Valley. Enjoy the stunning mountain scenery and picturesque countryside.